The case was diamantled, loose parts glued back in place and then prepared for refinishing. I used this organ to make videos on how to refinish a reed organ case. These can be viewed through the restoration videos tab under videos.

The bellows was replicated using 18mm birch plywood. This is much heavier than the original material but is much stronger. Given that it is so much heavier that the original material I modified the reconstruction slightly to include the use of hinges to help attach the middle board to the top part of the bellows since it also carries the full weight of the exhauster panels. This works well even though not true to the original construction. I used bellows cloth I obtained from Johnson Music Center in Mount Airy North Carolina. I have had it for a few years and was glad to get to use it. I like working with this material.

The bellows platform, being made from 18mm plywood, needed modification to serve its purpose. The original material was approximately 15mm. To use unmodified 18mm ply would leave the whole upper action raised in the case by 3mm. That’s a no go. So I routered out a chanel 3mm deep for the upper action to sit in. This is a solution I have used before when replacing a bellows platform and I find it works well.

What did the upper action need? Here’s a list:

                Sound board cleaned, sanded and shellacked

                Reed bed felt cleaned

                Pallet valve guide pins polished

                Pallet valves leather replacement

                Mute leather replaced

                Reeds ultrasonically cleaned

                Swell shades sanded and shellacked and felt replaced

                Coupler mechanisms cleaned and linkages re-bushed and graphited

                Keyboard frame cleaned and guide pins polished

                Keys re-bushed and felt replaced

                All keys polished and levelled

                Stop board rebuilt, including name board refinished

                Finally the organ was tuned to A455